We love fish tacos and have savored them in many places around the world including the mother of all tacos (Mexico) and the birthplace of the modern fish taco (Baja, California). Through our tenacious taco taste testing we believe we have come up with a fish taco recipe to rival them all.
Being nomadic our recipes have to be flexible, like us, and our fish tacos are no exception. We vary the ingredients based on what is fresh and available locally as well as what type of cooking facilities we have. We have even made these without a stove by buying pre-cooked fish or shrimp. This means that wherever you live in the world you can almost certainly make this healthy and delicious meal.
Fish Taco Recipe
- Tortillas (Substitutes: Pita, Flat bread, Naan, Leaf Lettuce)
- Fish of choice or shrimp (preferably fresh but frozen works) 1 medium sized piece does 2 tacos
- Cilantro chopped
- 1 cup of cabbage-shredded Substitutes: any crispy vegetable cut into matchsticks (lettuce, carrots, cucumber)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Spice of choice to taste (chili, cayenne, cajun)
- 1 Fresh lemon or lime
- Tropical salsa (see recipe below)
- Chili mayo (see recipe below)
- Season fish with spice, salt & pepper.
- Grill, bake or pan fry fish.
- Heat tortillas if desired (pan fry or microwave for just a few seconds or wrap in damp paper towel and heat in oven)
- Spread chili mayo on tortilla
- Place a single layer of cooked fish down the center of the tortilla
- Top fish with crispy veggies, cilantro and tropical salsa
- Squeeze lemon or lime over top
- 2 large mangoes Substitute: Pineapple, Peaches or combo
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1/2 Jalepeno pepper (add more if you want to kick up the heat factor)
- Fresh cilantro
- 1/2 fresh lime
- Sea salt
- Medium dice all fruit and veggies and place in a bowl
- Squeeze lime over mix and sprinkle with sea salt
- Refrigerate until ready to use
- 1/2 cup of mayo or yogurt
- 1 Tsp chili powder Substitutions: anything with a bit of kick like curry powder, cajun spice, hot sauce
- 1 Tsp of Lime juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Mix all ingredients together to taste. Flavor will build as may sits so I like to make it a bit earlier and refrigerate until ready to use
As you can see from our photos we really have made this recipe around the world. With some creativity and a little hunting it is very possible to enjoy your favorite home cooked healthy meals almost anywhere. Plus it’s a great way to immerse yourself more into the local community as you shop around for fresh ingredients and find new ways to adapt your recipe to the local foods.
Live healthy, Dream up new ideas and Discover new tastes!